83 cx500 street tracker build

Jack
Reactions:
Bike: yamaha xs250

83 cx500 street tracker build

Post by Jack »

Having finished my xs bobber build and a cx500 coming up cheap it was an easy decision to start another project! :yahoo:

This time I wanted something a little more universal so a street tracker seemed like the perfect choice and its something very few have done in my area, never actually seen anything alike.

Inspiration
image.jpg
Didn't get many before photos but the bike had been stored outside since about 05 so wasn't in very good condition which makes it a perfect candidate.

Bike is now completely stripped and the frame sand blasted, just trying to find a way of removing the large amount of corrosion that covers the engine. As it only has 18000ks on the clock and runs like a dream there is no reason to pull down the motor which makes cleaning hard. Any suggestions welcome! :think:

Photos to come soon!

Zeek
Reactions:
Bike: Honda CB450 Basket case

Re: 83 cx500 street tracker build

Post by Zeek »

Look forward to seeing how this one comes along!
As far as cleaning goes anything is possible...I went from this:
To this:

Mind you, I'm not sure I'd do it again. :lol: But it is possible with a lot of scrubbing.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Jack
Reactions:

Post by Jack »

That came up great! But unfortunately for me your before photo is showroom condition compared to mine at the moment! Im thinking soda or vapour blasting but worried about it being too harsh on gaskets and alike

Zeek
Reactions:

Post by Zeek »

I did try soda (had it done) on my old XL motor...was very disappointed with the result for the cost, but that could be just shit workmanship by those that did the job.
There is a guy in Launceston doing vapour blasting now, I'll be taking the 450 parts there next week, be interesting to see how that goes?

The XL was done with the motor intact, the 450 will be in parts. Both systems claim that with proper sealing you can do a complete motor?

This is a before shot of the 450 head.
P1010038.JPG

Jack
Reactions:

Post by Jack »

i guess its time to share a few photos. I didn't take many before but I have a fair few up to date photos

still haven't attempted anything with the motor as you can see its pretty badly covered In corrosion

bike during dismantle, would be the heaviest frame setup iv worked with!

this weekend I assembled some of the bike after being sand blasted and primed to fit the custom fuel tank and make a seat pan

moving the rear mount forward about 30mm so I didn't have to cut the tank

new tig welder works a treat

drilled and taped thread into original mounts

found washers that fit perfect into the custom tank mounts, welded in from behind for a nice finish

template of the seat pan ill be making during the week :D

Zeek
Reactions:

Post by Zeek »

Well on the way!
I see what you mean about the motor...lot of corrosion there?
I had to junk one of my engine covers today just too pitted under the oxidisation.
What's your plan for cleaning it?

Jack
Reactions:

Post by Jack »

Yes, happens when the previous owner leaves the bike outside for 9 years :smack:

I was told I can setup my gravity fed sandblaster to soda blast so that's my first option.
As I'm not going original ill probably end up painting the motor black and just polishing the valve covers so it doesn't have to come out perfect, fingers crossed :pray: