Z1A PROJECT

RED ZED
Bike: Original owner 1974 Kawa Z1A

Re: Z1A PROJECT

Postby RED ZED » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:35 pm

The electrical panel and associated bits has a whole bunch of rubber mounting blocks and grommets many of which had gone hard or perished.

Just about all are available from one source or another.

A couple that aren't available are these two blocks that the rectifier mounts on.

The old ones were a bit split and perished but cleaned up okay and with a little bit of rubber glue were pressed back into service for another 40 years.

I also found in the pack of aftermarket grommets that I bought that you only get four of these ones instead of the seven old ones that I had taken off.

Barstewards I thought, they've ripped me off.

I remembered four went in the base of the battery box .......... but the other three ?

So I looked through my pics from stripdown time cause I wasn't sure where I'd taken the other ones from.

Ah , the chain oil tank bracket used the other three.

I guess that's why they only give you four new ones, only the Z1 and the Z1A had the oil tank, so they are the only ones where you would need seven.

So the three best ones from the old set were retained and used again.

Two of the recessed No.4 bolts are used here.

with two flat head No. 4's to attach the tool tray ............

And it's done ...........

Anything I say , may or may not have any truth or relevance , this is the internet after all.

Zeek
Bike: Honda CB450 Basket case

Postby Zeek » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:44 pm

RED ZED wrote:
A couple that aren't available are these two blocks that the rectifier mounts on.

The old ones were a bit split and perished but cleaned up okay and with a little bit of rubber glue were pressed back into service for another 40 years.

Bit surprised the Member from Mandurah hasn't got onto these!

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ZORK WA

Postby ZORK WA » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:51 pm

Lookin good RedSkin, bet you carn't wait to ride it in early Oct 2015.

RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN. GGYF. THE MEMBER FOR MANDURAH. CHEAP INDIAN OFFICE FURNITURE. RHT - RossHensTerprises. SNORKELS-R-US. OLD WOBBLY BIKES AND OWNERS RULE. BURN'T OUT & FUCKED. LONG LOST PHOTOFUCKET. TUESDAY = PENSIONDAY. METALLICA = No1.

ZORK WA

Postby ZORK WA » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 pm

Zeek wrote:
RED ZED wrote:

Bit surprised the Member from Mandurah hasn't got onto these!

Diablo and others do these, plenty around as they also used on early Smoker Stroker trippple roadies and trailies.

RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN. GGYF. THE MEMBER FOR MANDURAH. CHEAP INDIAN OFFICE FURNITURE. RHT - RossHensTerprises. SNORKELS-R-US. OLD WOBBLY BIKES AND OWNERS RULE. BURN'T OUT & FUCKED. LONG LOST PHOTOFUCKET. TUESDAY = PENSIONDAY. METALLICA = No1.

RED ZED

Postby RED ZED » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:11 pm

ZORK WA wrote:
Diablo and others do these, plenty around as they also used on early Smoker Stroker trippple roadies and trailies.

Ah hah, should have checked with the main man first.

And you're right, it was a long awaited first test ride.

The project itself took me 12 months, the sorting of pics and telling the story even longer.

But we are on the final run home now ................

Anything I say , may or may not have any truth or relevance , this is the internet after all.

RED ZED

Postby RED ZED » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:11 pm

Electrical panel back on and re-fitting the rest of the loom.

Chain oil tank all cleaned up.

Replica straps that I've seen for sale are identical for the battery strap and the oil tank strap which is not exactly correct.

Here the original battery strap is on the left and the original oil tank strap is on the right, as you can see are quite different.

Speaking of straps again, I mentioned earlier that the seat buckle was one of the things that missed the trip to the chromers.

My old seat base is virtually unrepairable due to rust, so a replica seat complete with Euro spec strap is the only solution.

I will however get the original buckle re-chromed and fit it back on the new seat so it looks as authentic as possible otherwise the anoraks will run me outa town.

Again speaking of straps again, the fuel tank retaining strap wasn't doing a great deal of retaining any more. It sorta just hung there loosely.

You can see here how much it had stretched compared to a new one. The screw is just to hold it straight for the pic, otherwise it just curls up into a ball. It is actually about twice as long as it should be.

Carn't do much with a stretched rubber. Will have to use the new one if I wanna hold the tank on properly.

My original horn had been lost way back in the mists of time about 39 years ago when the supporting bracket broke which was apparently not an uncommon problem at the time.

The dodgy one on the left has been doing the job since then, but I was always keen to replace it with something better.

As luck would have I was able to track down a used, but still working fine, genuine Z1A horn.

A good cleanup and some fresh paint and Bob's your uncle.

Certainly bigger than the old dodgy one. Plenty of horn for your money there.

A couple of bolts that did make the trip to the chromers were these three No. 7's.

The two chunkier font 7's on the left are from the front brake perch and the slimmer font 7 is from the clutch perch which also has a different I.D. chrome washer to the other two.

You know how it is at home when you spend all your time working on bikes and not enough time doing the chores.

SWMBO starts firing in the complaints.

Question : " When are ya gunna get stuck into that firewood heap ?? " That sorta thing.

Answer : Buy her a hydraulic splitter so she can do it herself.

Yo a clever boy Red. :dance:

RED ZED

Postby RED ZED » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:54 pm

Instruments and headlight on , electrics finished.

Clutch cable operational, front brake bled.( what a mongrel of a job, about an hour of stoofing around and still not much chop but it is workable enough for now. )
I'm using a shorter than standard upper hydraulic hose because of the short bars, but it is still a bit long. May have to get a special one made.

Battery installed.

Lights, horn , instruments all seem to work. Me think 'mazing.

Actually the rear brake light wouldn't work.
Bugger.
Where will I start. Play with the adjustment on the rear pedal switch, start checking switchblocks or maybe the rear part of the loom ?
Goddamn it.

Hang on , what's that old saying ?
Yeah, that's right, start at the beginning and check the simple things first.

You guessed it, blown bulb, that's all.

Exhaust collars nice and pretty after re-chroming.

You probably can't see it in the pics but the individual collars have a single number stamped on each one.

You might think 1, 2, 3, and 4 would be logical.

Nah, how about two No. 1's , one number 2 , and one number 4.

Go figure.

Old two-into-one zorsts were put back on at this stage cause I was keen to get it running and start tuning.

Who am I kidding. I was actually keen to see .. if.. it would run ..... at all. :pray:

I need to make some adjustments to the mounting brackets for my new shiny zorsts and I'm waiting on rubbers for the side and centre stand stops which are different to the old ones that I've been using.

Don't want to scratch 'em you know.

So it's the old ones back on for now.

Return to “Street Bikes”