Jardine 4 into 2 Exhaust Pipes

Workshop/Technical posts go here.
GarnZ

Jardine 4 into 2 Exhaust Pipes

Postby GarnZ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:14 pm

I've been fitting these "Jardine" pipes (4 into 2) on a Z900-A4.
I notice on the LHS two header pipes there are two bolt holes (one in each pipe), with the appropriate bolt plug (approx. 6mm thread). These can only be viewed from under the bike.
Anyone know what they are for? They look like adaptors for oxygen sensors, however, these are pipes from the seventies!

When I assembled the pipes, Pipe #1 and pipe #2 had the plugs.
On further investigation, I reasoned that pipe #1 was interchangeable with pipe #4, as both these pipes were straight (without offset bend). So I swapped them.
This meant that now pipe#1 & 2 had a plug on that bank and pipes #3 & 4 had a plug on that bank.

This is a photo of the plug from underside of bike, it's simply a 6mm bolt.
I usually poke my tongue out when making photo's
This plug is just before two pipe combine on right side of Pic above.
The other plug is just before the other two pipes combine.

Me thinking maybe a balancing device? However, it been suggested that a condensation drain plug could be the answer! but why only on one pipe.
Anyone with these "seventy" pipes.

RegardZ

ZORK WA

Re: Jardine 4 into 2 Exhaust Pipes

Postby ZORK WA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:02 am

Garn.............................. you must have missed matched/blow in Zorst's, l know for fact the KZ1000LTD Jardine system had the four drain plugs, knew a guy many years ago who fitted grease nipples to said plug holes and give her a dozen squirts before storage over winter. True story.

Being at the lowest point they are drain holes, don't think the 900 LTD 's had these, but maybe the very last of the 900 model run did when KHI clicked they had a rust problem.

Just send the prize to Man Durah post office, they know me.

FYI --- l let the Moaners know. :lol:

Found a pic on googlees in case you need evidence.

RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN. GGYF. THE MEMBER FOR MANDURAH. CHEAP INDIAN OFFICE FURNITURE. RHT - RossHensTerprises. SNORKELS-R-US. OLD WOBBLY BIKES AND OWNERS RULE. BURN'T OUT & FUCKED. LONG LOST PHOTOFUCKET. TUESDAY = PENSIONDAY. METALLICA = No1.

GarnZ

Postby GarnZ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:38 am

Zork, Simply marvellous! I was wroooong! the plugs have nothing to do with "balancing" the banks.
So, all pipes had the plugs and they were indeed "drain" plugs.

RegardZ.

Ps. Need an idea now, to hold the prop-stand about 5 mm from pipe so it doesn't put a dent in the pipe?. I seem to recall an idea where a stop is put in the pivot end of the prop-stand!

PPS. Prize sent to Mandalay, Burma! Disappointed I can't use my new ("Rossco product") Z900 Air silencer on this bike, as some nut decided to increase the size of the battery box to take a larger/taller battery. This enlargement seemed a great idea at the time!

ZORK WA

Postby ZORK WA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:43 am

l know how to fab an unscene stop at pivot point for your side stand, l'll send pics thru in this evening if l can, very busy at work plus in mourning, sad day as last Ford is slapped together and Brockies 10th anniversary weekend. :cry:

Last edited by ZORK WA on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN. GGYF. THE MEMBER FOR MANDURAH. CHEAP INDIAN OFFICE FURNITURE. RHT - RossHensTerprises. SNORKELS-R-US. OLD WOBBLY BIKES AND OWNERS RULE. BURN'T OUT & FUCKED. LONG LOST PHOTOFUCKET. TUESDAY = PENSIONDAY. METALLICA = No1.

Zedboy
Site Admin
Bike: Kwakka Z1-A

Postby Zedboy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:58 pm

:biker:

ZORK WA

Postby ZORK WA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Zedboy wrote::biker:
. Start callin you Scooter Zeeekboy.

ZORK WA

Postby ZORK WA » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:00 am

GarnZ wrote:

Ps. Need an idea now, to hold the prop-stand about 5 mm from pipe so it doesn't put a dent in the pipe?. I seem to recall an idea where a stop is put in the pivot end of the prop-stand!

!

first up, what is a prop stand?

in my book you prop the bike up temporary on the flick down side stand = prop stand

for more permanent application you use the main or centre stand

Z1AChee seems to think prop is the main stand, anyway l have made hidden brackets for both.

not very good pictures as bikes are jammed in lounge room and a bit squeezy, but l'll try explain

on the end of the side stand bolt l cut out a tab washer, as can be seen in first pic it goes over end of stand retaining bolt and held on by the nut, the tab is bent around over the inside fork of stand, l drilled and tapped a 5mm bolt in the tab so as when folded up the head of 5mm bolt makes contact with the heavy side stand lug ( thats welded to frame ) and the other end of bolt is screwed in thru tab and makes contact with fork of stand, this is the tricky bit , the bolt has to be cut the right length so as when folded up the stand is loading up the bolt only, not the tab washer as this would snap eventually, its fiddle to get correct length but once done works fine, this one has been on my Z1B for bout 8 years, the head of bolt is grinded down to have a flat contact area when folded up, if you change muffler/exhaust just cut a new bolt to suit or can be removed at any time.

hope you under stand if not l'll pull off bike and take pics, but flat chat at work and not much play time.

this pic is taken from the rear and shows head of bolt facing camera

Return to “Technical”