TX500 and Others ~ Starter Clutch.

GarnZ

TX500 and Others ~ Starter Clutch.

Postby GarnZ » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:14 am

I've always had trouble with the chain-driven starter clutch on my TX500 '73.
The main trouble was a noisy rattle and sometimes slippage of the 3 rollers on the starter drive mechanism.
I mentioned it to a guy with a TX750 and he said the 750 has a mod that really smooths out this action.

The mod is for a TX750, whereas, I understand it can be done to a TX500 as this aspect of the starter clutch are identical.
The mod, as I see it, does away with the three rollers and replaces them with a special "one-way rotation" bearing. Meaning it locks up if rotated one way and is free when rotated the opposite direction. Sounds the goods.
Here is the posting in the TX 750 forum.

... http://tx750.proboards.com/thread/28/ar ... eplacement
Please look at last entry in the above posting.

RegardZ

ZORK WA

Re: TX500 and Others ~ Starter Clutch.

Postby ZORK WA » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:41 am

He's a very smart thinker indeed.

RIDDEN NOT HIDDEN. GGYF. THE MEMBER FOR MANDURAH. CHEAP INDIAN OFFICE FURNITURE. RHT - RossHensTerprises. SNORKELS-R-US. OLD WOBBLY BIKES AND OWNERS RULE. BURN'T OUT & FUCKED. LONG LOST PHOTOFUCKET. TUESDAY = PENSIONDAY. METALLICA = No1.

Zeek
Bike: Honda CB450 Basket case

Postby Zeek » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Nice work!
I hate people that are smarter than me. :lol:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

GarnZ

Postby GarnZ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:30 pm

Well fitted the one way bearing today. Haven't given it an extensive test yet!
As you can see in the first post above there is a full description of what has to be done.
I had a little trouble fitting the new starter chain, as there is no adjustment you have to do it this way...

1. Fit the starter clutch sprocket and the shim washer (on outside).
2. Offer the modded rotor to the taper shaft with the keyway in position.
3. Spin the starter clutch sprocket in a clocwise direction whilst engaging the rotor key in the keyway.
4. Tighten the 17mm retaining bolt and again spin the sprocket clockwise.
5. The hard part,.....to fit the chain... loosen the rotor and back it out about 5mm, so that, the one way bearing is still engaged and the key is still holding the rotor from loosing its position.
6. Fit new chain to large sprocket and intermediate sprocket and fit the starter sprocket to the splines of the starter motor.
7. Now slide them all in together and follow in with the rotor bolt... which can now be fully tightened.
8. Note that there is a slight adjustment by turning the square section on the starter motor to attain line-up with the spline.

Gee! I may not have to fix that kick-starter now!

Preliminary test shows it is not half as noisy as it was.... " bag of bolts".
I can hear the free wheel sprocket as it is always engaged and the locking mechanism merely floats over the ground surface that is in an oil bath. I think it will wear in a bit over the next few months.
RegardZ

PS. One observation...... It really drives the rotor for an easy start... no rattles, although, the bearing of the sprocket wheel and its ground surface were not in A1 shape, hence a slight noise!

Zedboy
Site Admin
Bike: Kwakka Z1-A

Postby Zedboy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:24 pm

You're selling the TX?

Return to “Technical”